Good Neighbor Regulations

Good Neighbor Regulations

Blight, Weeds, Nuisances - Tall weeds/grass and accumulated refuse, trash, rubbish or discarded materials are not permitted. Unsafe conditions such as uncovered pits, cisterns, wells, excavations or septic tanks, and unsecured houses are not permitted. Structures must be maintained free of loose or rotting boards or siding. Exterior surface materials including wood, composition or metal siding must be maintained weatherproof with the use of paint or other surface coating. Property owners are asked to be considerate of their neighbors and maintain their properties free from these conditions. If you observe a public nuisance or blight problem anywhere in the City, please contact the Public Services Department at 647-5416.

Curfew - Young people under 18 shall not remain in public place or establishment after 1 a.m. on weekend nights and 11 p.m. on weeknights, with some exceptions. For additional information, call the Police Department 647-5420.

Fences - Fences are permitted in side and rear yards only. Fences should not exceed six feet in height in residential areas and the finished side must face out. Fences should be maintained in good repair at all times. Barbed wire fencing is not permitted in residential areas.

Garage Sales - No permit is required, however holding garage sales on a continual basis is prohibited.

Home Occupations -
Businesses which are operated out of homes in residentially zoned areas require a Home Occupational Permit from the Boone County Planning Commission as well as City and County Occupational Licenses. For details, contact the Finance Department, 647-5413.

Keg Law - It is unlawful for the owner or occupant of property to allow another person under age 21 to remain on the property while in the possession of any alcoholic beverage.

Loud parties or loud radios, which annoy the public, are subject to disorderly conduct charges.

Parking on Private Property  - Unlicensed or disabled vehicles may not be parked or stored in outside areas, but may be stored inside a building. Vehicles must be parked on a paved surface – parking or storage on grass is prohibited. Boats, campers, trailers or similar type equipment must be stored in the side or rear yard – a paved surface is required. Vehicles for employment or business purposes larger than a full size pick up truck, or a full size van are not permitted in residential zones. For details call Public Services at 647-5416.

Large truck traffic is prohibited on residential streets unless proceeding to a specific destination to load or unload.

Parking on Public or Commercial Property  - Parking in Fire Lanes is prohibited. Handicap license or visor tag is required to park in marked handicap spaces. Vehicles may not be parked on City streets more than 24 hours without being moved. Any person cited for a parking violation may contest the determination by requesting in writing a hearing before the Parking Violation Hearing Board. For further details, call 647-5420.

Pets - Animal regulations are enforced by the Boone County Animal Shelter Officers. Owners of dogs must obtain license, renewable each February 1, which must be attached to the dog’s collar and worn at all times. Animals are not permitted to run at large in the City, nor may they disturb the peace, comfort and health of the neighbors by frequent or continual noise, or unsanitary conditions. Inhumane or improper treatment of any animal is prohibited. Owners of vicious animals may not permit the animal to go beyond the owner’s premises without secure muzzling and physical restraint; must display a clearly visible warning sign on the property where the animal is kept, and must provide proof of $25,000 public liability insurance to the City Clerk. Boone County Animal Care and Control, 5643 Idlewild Road, Burlington, 586-5285.

Sidewalk Maintenance - Property owners are required to keep sidewalks in front of their property free of debris. The City will replace sidewalk blocks located on public right-of-way which have become hazardous. Contact Public Services Citizen Request for Service/Complaint Program, 647-5416, for details.

Signs  - No signs, including garage sales, real estate, developers, and political, are permitted in the public right-of-way or on utility poles. The public right-of-way generally extends 12 feet behind the curb or edge of roadway. Directional or off-premise type signs are not permitted on private property in the City limits. All such signs must be located on the property advertised on the signs.

Skateboards  - Operation of skateboards is prohibited on certain streets and highways in the City of Florence. Skateboard operators must yield to pedestrians on sidewalks, and must not construct ramps on streets or sidewalks. Written consent of owner must be obtained for the operation of skateboards on private property. Call Police Department, 647-5420 for further details.

Smoke Detectors  - Smoke Detectors are required in all dwelling units, whether privately owned or rented. They should be installed to protect each sleeping area, and in centrally located common areas In multiple-unit structures. For more detailed information call Fire Department, 647-5660.

Tenant/Landlord Act - The City has adopted the Kentucky Uniform Residential Landlord and Tenant Act. Copies obtainable at the Public Library.